Alice Medrich’s Best Cocoa Brownies + Cherries
About these brownies. Do I need to explain? They’re brownies! Who doesn’t like them? These are the easiest and least fussy brownies I’ve ever made. No mixer needed, just a lot of arm power and one large mixing bowl. You don’t even need to bring your ingredients to room temperature! When you need a cocoa fix like NOW and it’s just too hot to step outside, make these. They
Best Cocoa Cherry Brownies
Credit: Alice Medrich, Bittersweet (Artisan, 2003)
- 10 tbsp/ 140 g unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups /250 g sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons / 65 g unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1/2 cup / 65 g all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup / 75 g pitted fresh bing cherries, halved (optional)
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
2.Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in.
3.Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside until the mixture is only warm, not hot.
4.Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring very vigorously after each one.
5.When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon.
6.Stir in the cherries, if using. Spread evenly in the lined pan. Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Let cool completely on a rack. Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to fridge. Cut into 16 or 25 squares. Brownies slice much better when cooled in the fridge.